Homes, hobbies, businesses to provide food for workers, training and educational purposes.
|Total in system||Harvest per month||Harvest per year|
|Nile Tilapia||600 fish||45 kg||540 kg|
|Gravel Barrels (Tomato as sample)||24 barrels||96 kg||1 152 kg|
|Deep Water Culture (Lettuce as sample)||180 holes||180 heads||2 160 heads|
Size: 6 m X 5 m
Total water in system: 7 600 litres
Power use: 4 kW max (with inline heater)
Cost to build: R49 000 (Excl. VAT and optionals, e.g. a tunnel)
Cost to run: R12 000 / year
· Fish section with filtering, mineralisation, and nitrification system
· Gravel Barrels section for fruiting crops, such as tomato, pepper, cucumber, and brinjal
· Deep Water Culture section for leafy vegetables, such as lettuce, spinach, kale, and herbs
· Water pump, air pump, heating unit, pipes and fittings .
· Wicking beds for root crops, e.g. carrot, onion, potato
· Tunnel/net house with net/plastic covering
· Starter pack with seed, grow medium, seedling trays, IPM package, nutrients, fish, fish feed.
· Training and support package
· Gravel for Gravel Barrels
· Paving or bricks for pathways and cement slab under dam
· Terrain preparation
· Transport of system, travel and accommodation costs for construction team
· Labour on site to assist with construction